Thursday 24 July 2014

Finally I have internet access again.

 

 

For the past seven days I have had no broadband internet access.  I have never been so frustrated with something so silly.  I always thought that I was a sensible person, but now I know different. 

The lack of internet was so debilitating for me.  I bank via the internet, I work on my university courses via the internet, even my recreation is partially internet based. 

It felt like someone had cut off my arms.  Oh I have a mobile smartphone, but even the data connection on that was playing up.

So in the end I took myself off to a friends home and borrowed some of hers. 

I could have spent this time productively, making cards or writing, but all I kept thinking about was the internet access problem, and the longer it was off, the more frustrated I got and the less concentration I had for anything else.

This morning a nice BT engineer came out, lifted the handset of my house phone, shook his head and said – this is a line fault not a broadband fault, they should have sent this job out last week.

Apparently I was luckier than a lot of people in the next village – Chapel St. Leonards.  They suffered a direct hit by lightening in the village and it travelled down both the telephone lines and the electricity cables.  So many homes have now got televisions that are useless, computers fried, laptops that were plugged in dead, the list goes on.   All that happened to my line was the resistors/connections up the pole and in the junction box were knocked out.  The problem was fixed within half an hour.

So guess who I’m writing to next?  BT are being told that they need to re-train their personnel in India, so that they don’t tell customers a pack of lies, can diagnose the correct fault and listen to customers when they give them information.  I am also not going to pay for the last weeks broadband and call package as I have not had the service.  Lets see how they feel about that one.

 

FOR THE LOVE OF A WOMAN 

EPISODE FOUR

EXT. FELTSTONE HALL. EARLY EVENING.

Thomas and Elizabeth are walking up the short drive of Feltstone Hall. In front of them at the top of the driveway stands a large Georgian manor house. Elizabeth is wearing a very modern evening dress of a soft blue colour, with a high, slightly draped cowl neckline and capped sleeves. The bodice is fitted with a gathered skirt that has yards of material and has an irregular hemline. She is carrying a black evening bag with a thin strap and has on new black T-strap shoes chosen to match the bag.

 

THOMAS:

Ready?

ELIZABETH:

No.

(beat)

Do I look okay? Is my dress right?

 

Thomas takes her hand and gently pats it.

 

THOMAS:

You look perfect. Stunning. How did I get so lucky?

ELIZABETH: (smiling)

Twit.

(beat)

(cont’d)

You’re sure it’s okay for me to come? I don’t want Sir James and Lady Marjorie to be embarrassed.

THOMAS:

How could you possibly embarrass them? You have perfect manners. Not something I can say about some who will be here tonight.

 

Thomas and Elizabeth are shown into the drawing room where maids are milling around serving drinks. Over by the fire the ladies have gathered, amongst them is Wallis Simpson talking to Lady Marjorie and Evaline Holte the hostess. Thomas walks Elizabeth over to his mother’s side and introduces her to the ladies.

 

THOMAS:

Evaline, ladies. May I introduce my friend Elizabeth?

LADY MARJORIE:

Elizabeth, it is so nice to see you again. How is your mother?

 

Thomas smiles at the ladies before walking away to join the men. He is greeted by his father and the prince, who looks over towards the ladies before slapping Thomas on the shoulder.

 

ELIZABETH:

She’s very well, thank you Lady Marjorie.

LADY MARJORIE:

Let me introduce you to everyone. This is Evaline Holte, our hostess, over there in the blue velvet is Florence Norman and of course I believe you know Mary Morris? Perhaps you already know Wallis Simpson?

ELIZABETH:

Good evening ladies. No, Not yet Lady Marjorie

(to Wallis)

So pleased to meet you.

WALLIS:

Nice to meet you Elizabeth. What a wonderful outfit, you simply must tell me where you got it.

LADY MARJORIE:

I believe from the cut and the workmanship that it is a Suranne Hearn original. I have several outfits by her too. She does such beautiful work.

ELIZABETH:

Yes, she is very talented. When Thomas asked me to accompany him I realized that I’d need something a little special. This was completed only this morning.

EVALINE: (snidely)

Well you wouldn’t have anything suitable would you? This is such a different experience for you, isn’t it?

LADY MARJORIE:

Why Evaline. Elizabeth has many beautiful dresses.

(to Elizabeth)

Only last week Thomas was telling his sisters about a stunning apricot number you wore to the park Elizabeth.

ELIZABETH:

Thank you Lady Marjorie.

(to Evaline)

I’m very fortunate to have several beautiful dresses. Most of which are Suranne originals. Of course, I’ve been to dinner parties before, not with such a distinguished guest admittedly. (looking across to the gathered men)

WALLIS:

One of you must introduce me to this wonderful artiste. I need to get a new outfit for the races next month. Do you think she would have the time to do something for me?

 

Lady Marjorie walks away to talk to Florence and Mary. Wallis leads Elizabeth off to the side where they sit down. Evaline Holte is left standing alone.

 

WALLIS:

I’m so glad you’re here dear. Takes some of the attention from me.

(beat)

Is someone bringing you a drink over?

ELIZABETH:

No, I haven’t asked for one yet. To be honest I don’t know what I should ask for. I usually drink just gin.

WALLIS:

Gin and tonic then.

 

Wallis catches the eye of a passing maid and orders a small gin and tonic for Elizabeth and a whiskey and soda for herself.

 

WALLIS:

Now, how can I get in touch with your dressmaker?

ELIZABETH: (smiling)

I can ask her for you tomorrow if you’d like me to.

WALLIS:

If you don’t mind. Are you sure you have the time?

 

At the other side of the room the gentlemen are preparing to go into the dining room. Thomas and the prince are laughing together. Thomas is finishing his drink and cigarette, whilst the prince stands with his hand on Thomas shoulder head dipped towards him conspiratorially.

 

DAVID:

Very pretty, old boy. Is she a keeper?

 

Thomas looks across to Elizabeth and Wallis. A smile creases his eyes and curves his lips.

 

THOMAS:

Oh yes. Nevertheless, I worry she’ll let the others goad her into saying too much. She’s very outspoken.

DAVID:

Let her have her head boy. She must find her own way. Wallis may well be helpful to her tonight.

(pause)

Looks like we’re going in for dinner, shall we join our ladies?

 

The ladies and gentlemen all leave the drawing room and make their way across to the dining room. Left behind the maids collect dirty glasses and tidy the room.

 

FADE OUT.

© L J Horne. 2014

 

The weather here in Lincolnshire is beautiful, thank goodness  Tomorrow we collect my son’s two wonderful children from their mum and they get to stay with us for eleven days.  It’s going to be great, days spent down the park with a picnic, playing on the beach, and of course the ‘diddle’ems’

Don’t know what they are? 

Well many years ago when my own kids were little their daddy told them that the penny arcades were called the diddle’ems.  When asked why he just said ‘the noise the machines make’.  Of course the kids were still infants and they believed him.   The real reason was because he believed that they were rigged to ‘diddle’ or con people out of their money, especially small children.  He was probably right.  So the kids have always called them diddle’ems and now so do my grandkids.

Last year Ty and Ruby were bought up to Skegness by their mum and her partner with their baby brother for a long weekend.  We got a phone call from ‘Daddy Luke’ asking where the shop called Diddle’ems was because the kids wanted to go there.  Smile 

When they later came to stay with us for the rest of their school holiday all they could remember from their time at Butlins holiday park with mummy, daddy Luke and baby Joey was their time at the diddle’ems.

Aren’t children, especially the under fives wonderful?

Have a great day.  If I get time I will post the next episode of ‘For the love of a woman’ tomorrow after we get back from the Midlands with the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment