Saturday 2 August 2014

hectic week.

Well I’ve had a very hectic week here with my grandchildren.  We have been down to the seafront, with their daddy and aunty Beki who came to see them.  I got to sit on the prom with a cup of tea whilst they went down to the sea for a paddle.  This was last Saturday.  Everyday we took them out, to the park, or the seafront, and nearly every day they went to the arcades.  Nanna had the job of keeping them supplied with drinks, sun cream and money.  Unfortunately, on Thursday whilst playing football at the park with his daddy my grandson Ty who is five, broke his wrist, so went home to mummy and her partner on Friday in a cast.  The cast will remain on until 28th August, just four days before he goes back to school.  They are back with me again in 13 days until the 30th. 

So at long last here is the next episode of FOR THE LOVE OF A WOMAN.

 

FADE IN.

INT. FELTSTONE DINING ROOM. LATE EVENING.

The meal has just finished and the gentlemen are sitting enjoying a cigar and drink. Elizabeth is sitting between Sir James and John Holte, with Thomas on the opposite side of the table between Wallis and Florence Norman. As the cigars are lit the ladies rise and make their way out of the dining room.

 

SIR JAMES:

Well that went well Thomas. Elizabeth was a pleasure to be around. I begin to see why you have become besotted.

JOHN:

Indeed, she has a great deal of knowledge considering her education. I hate to admit, I am surprised. I was quite prepared to be annoyed by her. I could never sit through a meal with my Emily; she is all ‘Bitsy said this and Bitsy said that’, with no substance to her conversation. How we shall find her a suitable willing husband I don’t know.

THOMAS:

Emily will make a good wife for the right man, John. Many men wait for the right time to show their hand. Your trouble may be weeding out the ones who are there not for your daughter, but for your factory.

JOHN:

We need to ensure that we can marry her to a man who could benefit the family as well as make a good husband.

(pause)

This Bitsy Fitzroy is a bit of a wild thing. Do you know she actually allowed the shoulder of her robe to fall as we passed in the corridor the other day? Such brazen behaviour.

THOMAS:

We know Bitsy. She’s a little loud and wild for my taste. Her parents tried to make a marriage for her with Cyril Norman. Of course, Samuel and Florence were not impressed. Cyril courted her for a few weeks, but she was too loud for him.

SIR JAMES:

I would imagine her parents are getting quite concerned that they’ll make a match for her. She shows no intentions of making her own match. I heard just last week that she was caught leaving the room of a young pilot at the Dorchester.

DAVID: (to Thomas)

I think I may know the young lady you mean. Tall, long legs, blonde hair? Was with Billy Latimer last week at Henry’s bash?

THOMAS:

That’s the one.

 

In the drawing room the ladies are talking. Evaline is mingling amongst her guests. The ladies have separated into two groups; Wallis and Elizabeth are talking with Mary Morris by the piano, whilst Lady Marjorie and Florence Norman are over by the fireplace with other ladies.

 

WALLIS:

Just ignore them, I do.

 

Both women look across towards their hostess and Lady Marjorie.

 

ELIZABETH:

Oh, I’m used to it. My family has been the subject of gossip all my life. I just don’t want Lady Marjorie embarrassed by it.

WALLIS:

I really don’t think she is.

(beat)

So you’re just keeping up a family tradition. Do tell.

ELIZABETH: (laughing)

Stay around here long enough and you’ll hear it all. Suranne is my mum.

WALLIS:

Oh, lucky you. So can she fit me in do you think? I’m free tomorrow morning.

 

Elizabeth looks unsure how to answer.

 

WALLIS: (cont’d)

I’ve put you on the spot. I’m so sorry Honey. I really do like your dress though. Very fashionable and up to date. The cloth is just divine.

MARY:

Don’t worry so Elizabeth. Marjorie can handle a little gossip.

(beat)

Just remember that your mother worked hard for everything she has. She refused to take anything she had not earned, even when faced with the workhouse. You can be proud of her, no matter what the gossips say.

ELIZABETH:

Thank you Mrs Morris. I’m proud of her, we all are.

MARY:

Good, now do either of you play? (taps the piano)

I’m afraid I was not a very musical student.

WALLIS:

Oh yes I love to play. Now do you think the others would enjoy a spot of Mozart?

MARY:

I’m sure they will, unless of course you’re tone deaf.

 

Evaline is talking to the ladies in the other group. When Wallis begins to play she looks across to the piano, before returning her attention to the conversation.

 

LADY MARJORIE:

The weather was very pleasant. John and Emilie are settling in now and of course their French staff are very good, which helps a great deal.

EVALINE:

Well, I would never have thought Wallis would play the piano, and so beautifully too.

LADY MARJORIE:

Evaline you are showing your prejudice again. I’m told Wallis attended Oldfield’s school in Baltimore. One of the best on the American east coast. I would imagine learning the piano is considered a useful talent for young ladies, just as it is in our own private girl’s schools. Which one did you attend Evaline?

 

Evaline looks uncomfortable as Lady Marjorie and Florence continue their conversation. Mary and Elizabeth stand by the piano talking to Wallis as she plays Mozart.

 

MARY:

I’ll leave you ladies to talk and go over and rescue Evaline. She’s very good at saying the wrong thing. It looks very much as if she’s done it again. Excuse me.

 

Mary leaves the piano and joins Evaline, drawing her away from the other group of ladies.

 

ELIZABETH:

You play beautifully Wallis. I would love to play but my education didn’t include music.

WALLIS:

I was taught as a young child by my beloved uncle. Of course, it helped that I love music. It has helped me a great deal through the years. When I was sent to a private girl’s school I had to work hard to be accepted. Being able to play the piano helped.

ELIZABETH:

You come from money though don’t you?

WALLIS: (laughs)

Oh no dear. I was the poor relation. My uncle paid for my education hoping I could make a good marriage because of it. After father died when I was a baby, mother had nothing. We went from one relative to another for years.

ELIZABETH:

We have a lot more in common than I thought. You have so much confidence, something I put on. Inside I’m so unsure, frightened that I’ll say the wrong thing, do something to embarrass Thomas.

WALLIS:

So, Thomas? He’s a very handsome young man. I have to ask Elizabeth, is this relationship about his status, or about the man?

ELIZABETH:

Well, that was direct and to the point. (smiles) I like that. No one has even thought to ask me that.

(pause)

I like him, a lot. He’s such fun to be with, so cheeky, and handsome, but there’s something else. He puts on a good front, but underneath, I think he’s frightened.

 

Wallis finishes the Mozart piece and closes the lid of the piano. She lead Elizabeth across to the seating and signals to a maid to bring fresh drinks.

 

WALLIS:

Sounds to me as if you’re falling for him. They get you that way. You start out wanting a bit of fun, perhaps a few nice gifts, being taken to nice places, and then before you know it, you’re in deep.

ELIZABETH:

And is that how it is for you with the prince?

WALLIS:

Good grief no!

 

Wallis laughs and draws the attention of a few of the other people in the room. The maid places two fresh glasses beside them and leaves.

 

WALLIS: (cont’d)

I like him. He gives me beautiful gifts, asks my opinion and listens to me. He’s very handsome and very rich. Oh, don’t get me wrong. I intend to be the wife of the King, but love has nothing to do with it.

(silence)

Oh now I’ve shocked you.

ELIZABETH:

Yes, I suppose you have.

(beat)

I realise not all marriages happen for love. Not many do even in the lower classes. I just thought from the way you treat each other that there was love on both sides.

WALLIS:

David is like a puppy. He is besotted with me, and I like the attention. As I get older my looks are fading. To have a very handsome, charming man like David think I am special is wonderful. If love does develop that will be even better. Being the wife of the King will mean I never have to worry about where the money is coming from for my beauty treatments, the fine clothes, good food, and of course the jewels.

(pause)

Remember just one thing, if nothing else that I tell you. Accept all the jewels you are offered. In old age they can turn a saggy old woman into a beautiful picture. They take the eye away from the skin. And if you ever fall on hard times, they can be sold.

ELIZABETH:

Thomas hasn’t given me any jewellery, and I wouldn’t take it if he tried.

WALLIS:

You’re young. You’ll learn soon enough. Grab every opportunity that comes your way and hang on. Fight for the things you want, not just the things you need. You’re a beautiful young woman; you deserve the best in life.

(pause)

Our hostess is talking about us again, I think. Shall we make our way over and comment on her lack of manners?

ELIZABETH: (smiling)

Wallis, you’re terrible.

(beat)

Oh, go on then. I’m fed up with being looked down on. I’m as good as she is.

 

As Wallis and Elizabeth take their drinks and cross the room to join their hostess, the gentlemen enter the room. Elizabeth’s attention is immediately drawn to Thomas and the prince. Sir James crosses to Lady Marjorie. Thomas and David wait for Elizabeth and Wallis to join the group before nodding to the maid for drinks. When Elizabeth reaches Thomas, he puts his arm around her waist for a brief moment. Wallis smiles at the prince then winks at Elizabeth.

 

WALLIS:

I was just telling Elizabeth what an asset a good jeweller is. Every lady benefits from a good wardrobe and fine jewels. Don’t you agree Thomas?

THOMAS:

I am sure they do Wallis, but Elizabeth is too beautiful to adorn.

DAVID:

Thomas, you’ll soon learn that even the most beautiful rose is transformed when it wears an adornment of a drop of dew. Giving Elizabeth a diamond or sapphire will highlight the gifts Mother Nature adorned her with at birth.

 

 

The evening draws to a close. The guests finish their drinks and take their leave.

FADE OUT.

 

© L J Horne. 2014

 

Well I hope you are enjoying reading this period drama.  Please leave me some feedback, and pass on my blog address to your friends and family so they can read it too.  Just copy the link on my Facebook page or from the top of this blog and add it to your own Facebook page.  The more people who come and see it, the happier I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment