Wednesday 16 July 2014

Another course passed.

 

My results from my fifth module towards my BA Honours Open Degree arrived last Thursday.  Have to say I was over the moon.  I got a Grade two pass, which means that on my last module starting in October, ‘The Art of English’.  I need to get a Grade three or more to get my 2:1.

The exam piece for my last module was a film script.  It is a period piece, set between 1933 and 1936 and follows the developing relationship between two young people from very different backgrounds. 

This is the beginning of a thirty two minute piece.

FOR THE LOVE OF A WOMAN

A FILM SCRIPT

By

Lorraine Horne

Characters.

Prince Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David, - Prince of Wales

39. Known as David. Well educated, playboy.  Gambler and ladies’ man.

Wallis Simpson.

37. Married American Socialite having an affair with the prince. Baltimore/East Coast American accent.

Elizabeth (Bess) Hearn.

20. Bess is a factory worker. Lower class. Basic education, local accent to North Warwickshire

Thomas Stratford-Ellis.

25. Third eldest son. Gambler and ladies’ man.Well educated, well spoken.

Sir James Stratford-Ellis.

52. Family has owned Rosedale Hall and the surrounding lands for over 600 years.

Lady Marjorie Stratford-Ellis.

50. Old money well educated,

John Holte.

Late 50’s. Factory owner, self-made man. Friend of Sir James. Arrogant, overbearing. Owns Feltstone Hall. Midland’s accent, slight Birmingham hints

Frederick Morris.

Hat factory owner, old money.

Ernest Wrigley

The butler, who also acts as the dealer and banker in the card games

Amberline Hearn.

50’s. Settled Gypsy turned miner. Elizabeth’s father.

Sir John Raith

BBC Director General. Announcer of the abdication speech

Other characters

Evaline Holte. Mid 50’s. New money, married to John.

Samuel Norman. Dinner guest. Local landowner.

Florence Norman. Wife of Samuel.

Mary Morris. Wife of Frederick.

SETTING

The film begins in November 1933. There are rumours going round the fashionable upper class parties that Prince David, the Prince of Wales has begun another affair with a married woman. This time it is believed to be an American socialite already on her second husband.

David is a regular houseguest of Sir James Stratford-Ellis and his wife at Rosedale Hall. During his visits, the Prince gets together with friend Thomas Stratford-Ellis, son of Sir James, who is several years younger, but has a very similar personality.

Dinner parties are always a feature of the Prince’s stay, combined with at least two card games held in either Feltstone Hall a large Georgian ‘Manor’ house on the northern edge of Feltstone, behind the imposing St Mary’s Church, owned by Sir James friend John Holte, or at Rosedale Hall. Designed by the architect Edward Blore in 1837 as an extension and refurbishment of Rosedale Manor house which sits within its now castle like complex. Rosedale Hall is to the south east of Feltstone town overlooking the beautiful wooded grounds that run down to the town.

FADE IN.

November 1933

INT. ROSEDALE HALL. CENTRAL HALLWAY. EARLY EVENING.

The central hall has a grand staircase going up to the gallery landing above. Several doors lead off in different directions into the rest of the house. At the back of the hallway it is darker, being in shadow under the gallery above. Here there are two doors. One opens onto a long corridor that leads to the servant’s area, kitchens and back of the house. The other is to a lavatory.

Coming through the door from the corridor is ELIZABETH HEARN.

Elizabeth is carrying a large tray, she is about to collect the last of the dirty glasses from the dining room.

THOMAS STRATFORD-ELLIS is approaching from the other side of the hallway.

THOMAS:

Hello again. Still here I see.

ELIZABETH:

Well it certainly looks that way doesn’t it?

(beat)

Excuse me Sir, I need to get on.

THOMAS:

Do you work here now?

(beat)

Shouldn’t you be wearing one of those little black dresses with a white pinny thing? 

 

Thomas smiles and winks. Elizabeth doesn’t smile back.

 

ELIZABETH:

And shouldn’t you be with the other guests in the games room?

THOMAS:

In a minute, yes. You never answered my question.

ELIZABETH:

No I didn’t did I?

 

Elizabeth walks around Thomas and grabs the handle of the dining room door. As she turns the handle, Thomas takes her free hand.

 

THOMAS:

So, do you work here?

(beat)

I could always just ask Mother I suppose.

ELIZABETH:

Ask away. While you’re doing it I can get on. I still have to walk home this evening.

THOMAS:

It would be quicker if you told me. Do you have a boyfriend or husband waiting for you?

ELIZABETH:

Now that’s none of your business.

(beat)

My name is Bess. No, I don’t work here; I’m doing a favour for Cook.

 

Elizabeth smiles cheekily at Thomas then pushes open the door and goes into the dining room. Just as she closes the door, Thomas says.

 

THOMAS:

Oh, I know your name.

 

Thomas steps up to the lavatory door with a smile on his face.

 

FADE OUT.

FADE IN.

INT. ROSEDALE HALL. GAMES ROOM. LATE EVENING

Typical 1930’s stately home games room.  Around the large roaring coal fire are several armchairs occupied by the ladies.  Behind the ladies stands a full size snooker table.  As the ladies quietly gossip, at the opposite end of the room sit six well-dressed gentlemen round the card table, WRIGLEY is standing at the head of the table, cards in hand ready to deal.

 

SIR JAMES:

Let’s make this our last hand tonight then gentlemen.

DAVID:

What’s up old boy, losing too much this evening?

SIR JAMES:

Well the two of you do seem to have taken an awful lot off the rest of us this evening Sir.

 

DAVID turns to address THOMAS who is sitting on his left hand side.

 

DAVID:

Won fair and square, wouldn’t you say Thomas?

THOMAS:

Definitely so David. Risks were taken and rewards won.

(beat)

Now, time for me to take some more, I think.

 

Wrigley deals out the cards face down to each player. Before they lift them and look at their cards, they each add ten shillings to the centre of the table, buying into the game.

Over by the fire, a maid collects dirty cups and glasses and places them onto a tray before carrying them out of the room. Another maid waits to serve the ladies fresh drinks. Wrigley nods to her to indicate that she bring fresh drinks for the gentlemen at the table.

 

LADY MARJORIE:

Another drink Wallis?

WALLIS SIMPSON:

G and T I think this time please, but I’ll make it my last tonight, then it will be tea for me.           No point getting tipsy and embarrassing myself is there?

(beat)

Wouldn’t want you all talking about me at the next gathering would I?

 

Turning to the maid SARAH, Lady Marjorie orders drinks.

 

LADY MARJORIE:

Sarah, can we have two more Gin and Tonics and then fetch a tea tray for four?

 

Back over at the card table the game continues.

 

WRIGLEY:

The cards are with you Mr Holte. Sir.

JOHN HOLTE:

Two please.

 

He throws two cards onto the table towards Wrigley, who deals him two more. The game continues around the table.

 

JOHN:

You are right, marriage is all about alliances. If my Stanley took it into his head to marry one of the factory girls, then he’d have to earn his own living. I have no intention of paying for his folly. The girl would be a money grabber for certain. If he chooses to shirk his family duty then he can go it alone.

SAMUEL NORMAN:

Three.

 

Elizabeth and Sarah quietly enter the room carrying trays and Elizabeth begins to collect up the dirty glasses and cups. Thomas watches Elizabeth, who now wears a pinny, for a short time, and then turns his attention back to the conversation.

 

FREDERICK MORRIS:

None for me Wrigley.

(beat)

I’ve seen what it can do when one falls in love with someone outside our circle. Nothing good came from it.

 

Discarding three cards Thomas looks directly at his father.

 

THOMAS:

Well, I intend to marry for love.

(beat)

What is the point in spending one’s life in a marriage with someone without love? I will not be tied to someone just because it’s expected of me.

DAVID:

I have to agree Thomas.

 

David looks quickly across towards Wallis, then back to his cards. Throwing down one card, he picks up the card dealt to him and looks at his hand, putting it face down in front of him. The pot in the centre of the table has grown considerably. It now contains around a hundred pounds made up from five and ten pound notes.

 

DAVID:

I’ll marry the woman I choose, not one the King and the government feels would make the best alliance. I want the kind of marriage that Albert has with Elizabeth.

 

Sir James changes one card.

 

DAVID: (cont’d):

Thomas, seems I’ve overstretched myself old man, would you stand me ten pounds and I’ll repay it from the winnings?

THOMAS:

Let’s say you’ve put it in there shall we, and Holte here shall be witness.

 

Everyone but Samuel bets again. Samuel throws his cards to Wrigley and excuses himself from the table.

 

SIR JAMES:

Elizabeth has breeding; she comes from the right family. Your brother is not going to be King, Sir, you are. Surely it’s important to you that you choose the right Queen?

DAVID:

When I choose, she will be the right Queen for me. Someone I can be happy with, someone who makes me a better person. This whole playboy thing is getting stale.

(beat)

Now to finish this game so I can pay my debt.

 

Thomas takes a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes his brow. As the cards are turned over Thomas reveals three queens and a pair of tens.

 

THOMAS:

Full house, old chap, I win.

DAVID:

Well it seems I’m in your debt Thomas.

 

Both men get up from the table, David slaps Thomas on the back. While Wrigley starts to gather the cards together, Sir James picks up the money and brings it to Thomas. The three men walk over to join the others in front of the fire for a final drink before retiring for the evening.

FADE OUT.

**********************

The play is about Thomas and ELizabeth, and their friendship with Edward and Wallis.  It ends three years later on the day of the abdication.

I hope you have enjoyed reading these first two scenes.

 

What I have been doing this week.

I have been playing with a digi stamp by Mo Manning.  You can see more of her work at http://www.digitalpenciltoo.blogspot.com/  or her web shop at http://www.http://mosdigitalpencil.com/

This is called The Reader.

The Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment