Friday 18 July 2014

Serialisation of my film script.

 

FOR THE LOVE OF A WOMAN  by Lorraine Josephine Horne. (2014)

Please note I retain all copywrite to this play.

FADE IN.

A Week Later.

EXT. FELTSTONE PARK. LATE AFTERNOON.

Elizabeth and Thomas walk slowly through the local park, her hand is nestled on his arm, the hand of which is tucked into his trouser pocket. Every so often he touches her hand on his arm with his free hand. Behind them people are watching them, some smiling others with their head together gossiping.

Elizabeth wears a simple plain handmade cotton dress coat in one of the latest designs; Thomas wears a typical gentleman’s day suit.

THOMAS:

You see, I told you no one would be staring at us.

ELIZABETH:

You see only what you want to see. Plenty are turning after we’ve passed by. You’ll be the talk of the town by tonight.

THOMAS:

Do you mind so much?

ELIZABETH: (laughs)

No, but somehow I don’t think Sir James and Lady Marjorie are going to be best pleased.

THOMAS:

You should give us more credit. Even the Royals are becoming more relaxed about these things. You saw Prince David with the American Wallis Simpson the other evening. That would never have been allowed a few years ago, but times are changing. Father and mother will change too.

ELIZABETH:

Oh Thomas. If you really think that’s going to happen you’re a few pennies short of a shilling. The King will soon stop that relationship.

THOMAS: (condescending)

And exactly how do you think the King will do that? David is an adult. Will he lock him up in the tower, banish Wallis from the country?

ELIZABETH:

Dad says the Prince will be sent off on another Royal tour abroad somewhere, and that Wallis will be bought off. He says her type is only after two things, money and fame.

THOMAS: (amused)

And your dad knows a lot of women like Wallis does he?

 

Elizabeth stops in the middle of the path, pulling away from Thomas. Thomas turns to look at her. She is visibly annoyed. Thomas is still amused.

 

ELIZABETH:

Don’t you dare make fun of us. Just ‘cause my dad didn’t have your fancy education, don’t mean he’s stupid.

THOMAS:

Well, you are quite the spitfire my dear.

(pause)

David did mention something about the possibility of another jaunt. Quite looking forward to it by all accounts, he tends to have such fun on these things. Lots of pretty girls to look at, plenty of time away from the pressure to marry the right woman.

 

Thomas and Elizabeth have come to the entrance to the park. It is almost dark and the streetlights are coming on. Thomas turns to Elizabeth. Around them people go about their daily lives. The church bell chimes the hour.

 

ELIZABETH:

Why do you think it hasn’t been mentioned in the papers?

THOMAS

I doubt they announce anything until the details are finalised. No good saying the Prince will be in Sydney when he is not going to Australia at all.

 

Elizabeth slaps Thomas on the arm gently.

 

ELIZABETH:

Not the Royal tour silly, the Prince and Wallis. Do you think they’re having an affair?

THOMAS: (sounds worried)

Not yet no. Mother put them in separate wings of the house. If there had been anything, the servants would have been gossiping by now. I would imagine it will happen soon though. David is never without for long.

ELIZABETH:

I hope Wallis has a thick skin, and a forgiving husband.  He’ll soon get bored as the novelty of her wears off, then he’ll move on to the next.

 

Thomas is thoughtful for a moment before shaking his head sadly.

 

THOMAS:

Not this time I fear. He’s in love with her you know? That is new for him. He was talking of settling down, of marriage.

(pause)

Can I see you again Bess?

ELIZABETH:

I don’t know Thomas. Where could this go? I like you, but I don’t think this can work.

THOMAS:

Give it a try; what do you have to lose? I’m good looking, have reasonably good manners. I …

ELIZABETH:

You’re a twit. (smiling)

Why is it so important to go out with me? Are you using me to prove something to Sir James?

(beat)(spiritedly)

I won’t be used and I won’t be made fun of, so if this is all part of an elaborate game then find someone else.

THOMAS:

I have no nefarious reason. I like you; you’re beautiful, funny, sassy, and very confident. I admit that irritating father is always fun, but I never use other people to do it.

(beat)

Let me walk you home and you can think about it.

 

Thomas and Elizabeth join arms again and walk through the town. As they go people turn and stare, some smile and walk on, others shake their heads and turn to talk. Small town life goes on.

 

FADE OUT.

(© L J Horne 2014)

 

I am going to post a new scene each morning now until the script is complete.  It will only take a few days.  I ask please that you leave me a comment below so that I can get some idea of how you feel about this piece. 

Thank you to Kath Thomson for the feedback I got yesterday via my Facebook page.  It was wonderful to read that you wanted to read more, but that you were willing to wait until it was shown on the BBC.  A real boost to my confidence. 

Now wouldn’t that be something – a 50 year old woman raised in the centre of England writing a drama for the BBC? 

No comments:

Post a Comment