Tuesday 5 August 2014

Final episode.

 

So today we draw this drama to a close.  I hope that you have liked reading it.  I will continue to post pieces of work I have done, but nothing can compare to this.

 

FOR THE LOVE OF A WOMAN, by Lorraine Horne.

 

It is now December 11th 1936. Thomas and Elizabeth are married. It is the day of their daughters Christening. Both families have just arrived back at the farmhouse from the church. The ladies all make a fuss of the sleeping baby.

 

LADY MARJORIE:

Elizabeth, Mary was such an angel right up until the water touched her head. My what a pair of lungs she has. She certainly let us all know she doesn’t like water on her hair.

ELIZABETH:

I was afraid of just that. Mary really doesn’t like her head wet at all. Dad says she’ll be afraid of water.

 

In the sitting room Thomas puts on the radio. The men find somewhere to sit as they wait for the announcement everyone knows is coming.

 

THOMAS:

Do you think we’ve missed it Father?

SIR JAMES:

No. I think we’d have heard in the town had the announcement been made.

(pause)

I can’t believe he’s actually done it. To choose Wallis over his duty?

THOMAS:

He said he would marry the woman he loved. Obviously this is the only way that can happen.

(beat)

I just hope he can be happy in the knowledge of what it’s cost.

ELIZABETH:

I’m going to put Mary down in her crib. Has someone put the kettle on to boil?

THOMAS:

I think your mother was going to do it.

 

As the men sit around listening to the radio, waiting for news, the ladies fuss with drinks and the children. Elizabeth leaves the room with the baby just as SIR JOHN RAITH’s voice comes over the radio. Amberline turns up the volume and shushes the children.

 

SIR JOHN RAITH:

This is Windsor Castle. His Royal Highness Prince Edward.

DAVID:

At long last (beat) I am able to say a few words (beat) of my own.

(pause)

I have never wanted (beat) to withhold anything, (beat) but until now (beat) it has not been constitutionally possible (beat) for me to speak.

(pause)

 

Elizabeth comes back into the room, and walking over to Thomas’s chair sits on the arm and puts her hand on his shoulder. Thomas puts his hand on top of hers.

 

DAVID: (cont’d)

A few hours ago (beat) I discharged my last duty (beat) as King and Emperor,

(pause)

and now (beat) that I have been succeeded by my brother, (beat) the Duke of York, (beat) my first words (beat) must be to declare my allegiance to him.

(pause)

This I do (beat) with all my heart.

(pause)

You all know the reasons (beat) which have impelled me (beat) to renounce the throne.

(pause)

But I want you to understand (beat) that in making up my mind (beat) I did not forget (beat) the country or the empire, (beat) which, (beat) as Prince of Wales (beat) and lately as King,

(pause)

I have for twenty-five years (beat) tried to serve.

(pause)

But you must (beat) believe me (beat) when I tell you (beat) that I have found it impossible (beat) to carry the heavy burden of responsibility (beat) and to discharge my duties as King (beat) as I would wish to do (beat) without the help and support (beat) of the woman I love.

 

Thomas squeezes Elizabeth’s hand. Elizabeth has a tear falling down her cheek. She sniffs quietly. As the family continues to listen to the radio, Elizabeth and Thomas slip out of the room.

 

ELIZABETH:

Oh Thomas. I feel so sorry for them. Wallis so wanted to be Queen. Do you think they will ever marry now?

THOMAS:

I bloody hope she marries him now he’s given up everything for her.

ELIZABETH:

I hope so too.

 

Elizabeth wraps her arms round her husband as their daughter starts to cry. They smile at each other and walk arm in arm back into the farmhouse.

 

FADE OUT.

 

© L J Horne. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment